Moursund and Albrecht: Math games and word problems
Free Book by Moursund and Albrecht
The following free 222 page book by David Moursund and Robert Albrecht is specifically designed for inservice and preservice preK-8 teachers who want to improve the math education of the students they teach. Parents interested in the math education of their young children and/or who are doing homeschooling will also find the book useful.
- Moursund, David and Albrecht, Robert (2011). Using math games and word problems to increase the math maturity of K-8 students. Eugene, OR: Information Age Education. Download PDF file from http://i-a-e.org/downloads/doc_download/211-using-math-games-and-word-problems-to-increase-the-math-maturity-of-k-8-students.html. Download Microsoft Word file from http://i-a-e.org/downloads/doc_download/210-using-math-games-and-word-problems-to-increase-the-math-maturity-of-k-8-students.html.
- This book was created for preservice and inservice teachers with the goal of improving the informal and formal math education of preK-8 students. The authors emphasize using simple, inexpensive games to provide students with learning environments that help to increase their levels of math maturity.
- The book is a mixture of theory and practice. It contains a careful analysis of a small number of games and links to a large number of games and related resources.
- The book has a strong emphasis on students learning to develop and test strategies. This is in marked contrast with a common approach to learning about strategies in which students are expected to memorize (and, accept without question) strategies to solve or help solve a variety of problems.
Available for $1.00 in Kindle Formats
Kindle format. The price is $1.00. In addition to being readable on a Kindle, this can be read on a PC, Mac, or iPad through use of the appropriate free reader from Kindle.
- Click here for book ordering information.
- Click here to download free Kindle reader for the PC.
- Click here to download free Kindle reader for the Mac and iPad.
- Click here to download free Kindle reader for the Android.
- Click here to download free Kindle reader for the BlackBerry.
Click here for other books IAE is selling in Kindle format.
More About the Book
Learn more about the book and its content area from the following free resources:
- Click here to access the Table of Contents, Prefix, Chapter 1, and Index.
- The book contains an extensive bibliography, with the majority of references containing Web links. A free annotated version of the bibliography is available online.
- Learn more about Math Maturity by reading the IAE-pedia document on this topic. Math maturity has to do with learning to think about, represent, and solve problems using math-related ideas and types of thinking. Such math-type thinking tends to endure over the years, even as one forgets details of definitions, formulas, algorithms, and procedures.
- See a very detailed syllabus for a 3-credit math maturity course. The syllabus contains a preliminary edition of Chapter 2 of the Moursund and Albrecht book.
This page was created by David Moursund.